Corrections & Community Advocacy
Why choose Corrections & Community Advocacy?
- Corrections officers change lives and help people assume more positive roles in society.
- Get the special training and certification needed to supervise and counsel individuals who enter the justice system.
- Choose to protect the safety and security of the inmates and staff in a variety of facilities, or work behind the scenes to assist social workers with developing, organizing, and conducting programs to prevent and resolve problems.
- Interested in earning a bachelor’s degree? For transfer opportunities, visit mstc.edu/transfer.
Wisconsin Rapids Campus
500 32nd Street North
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin 54494
What You'll Learn
The Corrections & Community Advocacy program at Mid-State teaches the operations and management of adult/juvenile correctional institutions, probation/parole, community advocacy agencies, special needs populations, alcohol and other drug abuse, and mental health services. Graduates may work in jails, prisons, juvenile detention facilities, halfway houses, and shelter care facilities as well as in the court system. Experienced faculty emphasize professionalism and integrity needed to work in these settings.
You’ll experience a blend of classroom theory, simulation, and occupational observation, setting you up for success in this field. Our state-of-the-art facilities include a reproduction of a secure detention facility to allow you to develop your skills in a safe yet challenging environment.
Estimated Entire Program Cost
Cost based on the 2018/2019 academic calendar year.
- Tuition & Fees: $8,786.01
- Books: $2,070.97
- Supplies, Uniforms, and/or Exams: $0.00
- Total Estimated Cost: $10,856.98
Financial Aid Eligibility
This program is eligible for full Financial Aid.
|10801136||English Composition 1||3.00|
|10809166||Intro to Ethics: Theory & Application||3.00|
|10504114||Introduction to Law Enforcement||3.00|
|10504175||Understanding Substance Abuse||3.00|
||10504184||Basic Jail Academy 1||3.00|
|-or-||10504167||Trauma & Resiliency||3.00|
||10504185||Basic Jail Academy 2||3.00|
|-or-||10504165||Basic Incarceration Principles||3.00|
||10809198||Intro to Psychology||3.00|
|-or-||10804118||Intermediate Algebra with Applications||4.00|
||10809172||Introduction to Diversity Studies||3.00|
|-or-||10809196||Intro to Sociology||3.00|
|10504116||Probation & Parole||3.00|
|10504132||Advanced Relational Skills||3.00|
|10504144||Wellness in Protective Services||3.00|
|10504179||Management of Adult Population||3.00|
COURTNEY KOSTUCHOWSKI, AAS, BS, MS
Courtney earned her master of arts in criminal justice from American Military University. Her experience includes two years as a police officer followed by eight years with the Wisconsin Department of Corrections as a probation and parole agent. She continues to receive ongoing training and takes courses related to criminal justice to keep her skills fresh.
“My passion for the criminal justice system is contagious. The best thing about teaching in the Corrections & Community Advocacy program is getting students excited about how many career opportunities they can pursue with this degree.”
- 9-1-1 Telecommunicator
- Correctional/Juvenile Detention Officer
- Correctional Officer
- Home Detention Specialist
- Juvenile Detention Officer
- Psychiatric Care Technician
- Shelter Care Worker
- Victim/Witness Coordinator
- Clerk of Courts Assistant
- Child Support Case Manager
- Probation & Parole Agent
- Social and Human Services Assistants
"Mid-State’s instructors took time to work with each student, and the internship program provided me with the opportunity to learn in a real-world setting. I was able to get my foot in the door with my desired career choice and was hired in a county jail shortly after I graduated."
STEVENS POINT, WI
Choose Your Path
Career pathways help you take your education one step at a time to maximize your investment and make college fit your life. Earn a credential and start using it in the workforce. Continue with another stack of related courses to gain a more advanced diploma or degree.