COVID Information and Resources - Updated 1.19.2021
Mid-State Technical College (Mid-State) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1413 (800.621.7440). It's next compliance evaluation is in 2023-2024.
- 2018 Mid-State AQIP Systems Portfolio
- 2014 Mid-State AQIP Systems Portfolio
- 2010 Mid-State AQIP Systems Portfolio
Statement of Affiliation
The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) is an independent corporation that was founded in 1895 as one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States. HLC accredits degree-granting post-secondary educational institutions in the North Central region, which includes 19 states.
- What Does It Mean to Be an Accredited College?
Quality: Accreditation means that a college, university, institution, or program meets standards of quality for faculty, curriculum, administration, financial management, and student services.
Financial Aid Opportunities: You can only obtain federal financial assistance if your college or university has appropriate accreditation from an organization recognized by the United States Department of Education.
Credits that Transfer: If you ever want to transfer your college credits to continue your education, accreditation is an important factor when a college or university is deciding whether to accept transfer credits from your previous school.
Program Accreditation: Individual programs at Mid-State may secure additional accreditation related to their occupational area as available.
Program Accrediting Bodies
Automotive: National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) Accreditation by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE)
EMT-Paramedic: Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for EMS Professions (CoAEMSP)
Health Information Management: Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
Medical Assistant: Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon recommendation of Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB)
Nursing: Accreditation Commission for Education In Nursing (ACEN)
Paramedic Technician: Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for EMS Professions (CoAEMSP)
Phlebotomy Technician: National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
Respiratory Therapist: Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC)
Surgical Technologist: Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA) under the auspices of Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
All of Mid-State's programs are in good standing with their accreditors. Further information on each program's accreditation can be found on program pages.
Mid-State Technical College is one of 16 colleges in the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS). Each college is governed locally by a board of trustees, and the majority of funding for each college comes from its district residents’ property tax assessment. However, program of study curriculum, facility improvements, and student tuition are among the important decisions approved by the WTCS state Board of Trustees.
The Wisconsin Technical College System Board has authorized Mid-State Technical College to grant the associate of applied science degree in two-year programs. Technical diplomas are granted for one- and two-semester programs and for some multiple-year programs of study.
Wisconsin Technical College System Board
310 Price Place
PO Box 7874
Madison WI 53707
- External Program Approval Agencies
Several of Mid-State’s occupational programs have received external approval from various governmental and non-governmental agencies as well as consistent support and recognition from the instructional program advisory committees:
- American Heart Association (CPR, ACLS, PALS, and HeartSaver)
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services (Emergency Medical Technician courses/programs and Nursing Assistant)
- Motorcycle Safety Foundation (Motorcycle Training)
- State of Wisconsin Board of Nursing (Nursing)
- Wisconsin Department of Justice Training and Standards Bureau (Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement 720 Academy)
- Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services (EMS)
- Wisconsin Department of Commerce (Fire Safety)
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation (Motorcycle Training)
- International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (Firefighting Courses)
- Wisconsin Technical College System Board (All Programs and Basic Skills)
- National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (Automotive Maintenance Technician)
- College Memberships
- American Association of Community Colleges
- Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT)
- National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA)
- Wisconsin Technical College District Boards Association