Wisconsin Rapids campus at night.

Disability Services

Mid-State's Disability Services office provides academic accommodations to students with learning, sensory, emotional, or physical disabilities to ensure equal access to higher education. The Disability Services coordinator will meet with each student individually to determine reasonable and appropriate accommodations. Students who qualify for services receive the resources they need to fully participate in all aspects of learning. 

Resources may be provided by other student support personal. Below is a list of support staff and how they can help you.

Academic advisors:

  • Help you apply to college.
  • Answer questions about the Accuplacer.
  • Talk with you about your strengths and weaknesses.
  • Help you become familiar with campus.
  • Help you build study skills.
  • Help you with career exploration.

Student success counselors:

  • Help you manage anxiety.
  • Discuss symptoms of depression.
  • Talk with you about personal problems, such as relationship issues, grief, etc.
  • Refer you to outside counseling.

Disability Services coordinator:

  • Talk with you about your disability.
  • Discuss potential accommodations that may help you in your classes.
  • Explore functional abilities of programs to identify potential barriers imposed by your disability.
  • Coordinate collaborative meetings with you, your instructors, and others, e.g., Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), etc.

Advisors and student success counselors will consult with the Disability Services coordinator as needed.

Get Started

  • Schedule an appointment with the Disability Services coordinator by calling 888.575.6782.
  • Bring your records that explain your disability, such as an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), medical records, or counselor notes.
  • If you suspect you have a disability, schedule an appointment with the Disability Services coordinator to discuss how to get tested.
  • If you are an online student, a phone appointment can be scheduled.
Request Accommodations

If you have never received accommodations at Mid-State and have an already-diagnosed disability, please complete the accommodations request process outlined below.

If you are not yet diagnosed but suspect you may have a learning disability or ADD/ADHD, first visit our How to Get Tested page for information about how to arrange outside testing.


Begin the accommodations process by calling the Disability Services coordinator 888.575.6782 to schedule an appointment. 


To qualify for academic accommodations, you must submit documentation from qualified professionals with credentials appropriate to the diagnosis. 

Examples of appropriate accommodations are medical records from a specialist who diagnosed the physical/medical disability, evaluation report/IEP from your high school, or letter from mental health counselor/psychiatrist. Documentation must include diagnosis, description of the diagnostic criteria and/or diagnostic test used (scores must be included), treatments, medications, assistive devices/services currently prescribed or used, and a description of expected progression or stability of the impact of the disability over time. Documentation must be on agency/clinic letterhead, with the credentials of the diagnosing professional listed.

For information on how to arrange outside testing for a learning disability or ADD/ADHD, visit our How to Get Tested page, or contact the Disability Services coordinator.


At your appointment, you will receive an accommodation plan by email. The accommodations you actually receive will be determined by you—you will need to send your accommodation plan to the instructors you would like to receive accommodations from. 

Additional Resources

In addition to the approved accommodations, additional resources are available to you to assist you while at Mid-State. Examples include tutoring, time management assistance, scheduling, and counseling for personal issues. These additional resources are available to all students. Your academic advisor can help you determine what service would be most helpful for you.

Updates or Changes to Your Current Accommodation Plan

If you feel you need to adjust your current accommodation plan, contact the Disability Services coordinator to discuss your concerns. It may be necessary to submit new documentation to support the change.

Confidentiality of Disability Information

Disclosure of any disability information will not affect a student’s enrollment status, placement into programs, classes, or financial aid. Disability records are confidential and are only accessed by Disability Services.