COVID Information and Resources - Updated 1.19.2021
Dare to Be Different
Breaking free of traditional career paths can result in greater job satisfaction and opportunity beyond expectations. High-skill, high-paying career opportunities abound in non-traditional occupations.
The time is now! Discover non-traditional career opportunities. It’s never too early to plan your future.
What Is a Non-Traditional Occupation (NTO)?
NTO careers are defined as occupations in which 75 percent or more of the workforce is of the opposite gender. For example, women in welding, criminal justice, or engineering, and males in nursing or early childhood education.
Why Choose a Non-Traditional Occupation?
- Satisfying and challenging work
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
- Satisfying and rewarding work in a diverse environment
- Higher salary and benefits
- Occupational fit to your personality, interests, and abilities
NTO Programs at Mid-State
NTO students at Mid-State receive the support they need to be successful and develop strategies for overcoming challenges in their career. The programs listed below qualify as NTO programs at Mid-State.
- Agribusiness and Science Technology
- Automotive Technician
- Automotive Maintenance Technician
- Business Management
- Civil Engineering Technology - Highway Technician
- Construction Trades
- Corrections & Community Advocacy
- Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement 720 Academy
- Criminal Justice - Studies
- Diesel & Heavy Equipment Technician
- Diesel & Heavy Equipment Technician Assistant
- Electrical Power Engineering Technician
- Emergency Services Management
- Farm Business & Production Management
- Farm Operation
- Fire Protection Technician
- Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) Installer
- Industrial Mechanical Technician
- Industrial Automation & Controls Engineering Technology
- IT Network Specialist
- IT Security Specialist
- IT Software Developer
- Machine Tool Technician
- Manufacturing Operations Management
- Microsoft Systems Administrator
- Renewable Energy Technician
- Stainless Steel Welding (GTAW)
- Accounting Assistant
- Administrative Professional
- Early Childhood Education
- Human Resources Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Coder
- Medical Office Specialist
- Nail Technician
- Nursing Assistant
- Pharmacy Services Management
- Pharmacy Technician
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Surgical Technologist
For more information or questions regarding NTO contact firstname.lastname@example.org.