Young woman in focus smiling standing next to peers.

Disability Services - FAQ

This page offers frequently asked questions (FAQs) the Disability Services office receives from prospective students about academic accommodations and the role of Mid-State faculty, students, and the Student Services team, which includes Disability Services, Academic Advising, and Counseling.

May I visit the Disability Services office while I am a prospective student?

Yes. We are happy to meet with prospective students to provide you with a broad overview of disability services. Determination of the specific accommodations appropriate for individual students is done after admission to Mid-State. We suggest you coordinate your visit to Disability Services with a tour of the campus and an information session. Be sure to schedule in advance by calling the Student Services & Information Center at 800.575.6782.

Does the Disability Services office impact my chances of admission?

No. Disability Services Staff play no role in the admissions process, and visiting the office has no impact on your chances for admission; it is simply an opportunity for you to learn about services for students with disabilities.

Should I disclose my disability in the admissions process?

Disclosure of disability is a personal decision and a prospective student is not obligated to self-identify prior to admission. Upon acceptance incoming students are advised to contact the Disability Services coordinator as soon as possible. Because accommodations require advanced planning, early identification of a student’s needs helps to facilitate arrangements and accommodations being made in a timely manner. Also, speaking with an advisor at a new student advising appointment could help you get resources.

When applying to Mid-State should I send professional documentation of my disability to the Admission Office?

No. You should not send reports such as a medical, psychological, psychiatric, or psycho-educational evaluation directly to Admissions or any other Mid-State office. Professional documentation should only be provided to the Disability Services coordinator.

How do I establish eligibility for services from the Disability Services office?

We ask that students submit documentation during the admissions process or soon after they are accepted to Mid-State. However, students can also submit documentation anytime during the semester. (See the "What is considered timely notice..." question below.)

What kinds of accommodations are available?

Disability Services provides a number of academic accommodations that include, but are not limited to, testing accommodations, interpreting, note-taker services, and document conversion into alternate formats (e.g., digital, audio, large print, Braille).

Does Disability Services provide tutoring services for students with learning disabilities?

Peer tutoring is available for all Mid-State students. Students with a disability can meet with their advisor or Disability Services coordinator to discuss early referral for tutoring.

Who is eligible for disability services?

Any student with a significant physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as walking, learning, and performing manual tasks, is eligible for disability services. Students requesting services and accommodations are required to register by submitting current and comprehensive disability documentation and meeting with a designated Disability Services staff member.

Who decides what academic accommodations are appropriate for a student and how is that decision made?

The Disability Services coordinator reviews a student’s disability documentation to determine if a condition meets the standard established by the ADA of a substantial impairment of a major life activity. The documentation must also demonstrate the functional impact of this condition on the student in an academic setting. Reasonable modifications are approved to address the impact of the condition, taking into consideration the student’s request, past history of accommodation, and the nature of the course or degree program.

Are all students with disabilities registered with Disability Services?

No, many students either choose not to register for disability services or they have not met the eligibility criteria for services. Faculty members do not have to provide unregistered students with accommodations.

What is the policy on confidentiality?

All disability information must be treated confidentially and shared only for the purpose of providing accommodations or services. Faculty should guard against acting in such a manner as to disclose the disability status of a student. Disability information is stored in the Disability Services coordinator's office.

What is considered timely notice of the need for accommodations?

Students are advised to meet with Disability Services early in the semester to make arrangements for accommodations. At least two weeks' advance notice is reasonable for test-taking accommodations. More notice may be needed for some accommodations such as arranging for alternative formats for textbooks or interpreters. Students can register for services at any time during the semester, though accommodations are not retroactive and start only after an accommodation plan is developed.

How are disputes resolved if a student thinks he or she is experiencing discrimination on the basis of a disability?

Disability Services has an appeal process for students to use when they think they have been denied reasonable accommodations or have experienced disability discrimination. If you are aware of such a circumstance, please contact our office to assist with resolving the situation.