Arborists are knowledgeable about the needs of trees and use of sophisticated climbing and rigging techniques to provide proper care.
- Care for and maintain trees to enhance and add value to property and reduce liability.
- Use sophisticated climbing and rigging techniques to prune or remove trees with an emphasis on safety.
- Ascend trees, cut away dead or excess branches, and lower them to the ground.
- Spray trees and shrubs to prevent common pests and diseases.
- Work Conditions
Arborists work outdoors in all kinds of weather. The work is physically demanding and requires dangerous equipment such as chainsaws. Moreover, the work is often performed at heights, so arborists use fall-protection gear in addition to personal protective equipment.
Arborists strongly emphasize safety measures, because their duties have led to an occupational injury rate that is above the national average.
- 3-year program
- 6,440 hours of on-the-job learning
- 440 hours of paid related instruction (designed for distance education)
- Additional related instruction may be required
- Application Requirements
To qualify for this apprenticeship opportunity, applicants must meet the following requirements:
Age: 18 or older
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Physical Ability: Must be physically able to perform the work with reasonable accommodations
License: Must have valid driver's license
Application: Apply directly to the sponsor
If you meet the application requirements listed above, do the following to get started:
- Obtain direct employment through a company that operates an apprenticeship program or a similar sponsorship.
- Contact Cole Schmidt to learn about the application process:
Apprenticeship Advisor & Pathways Navigator
Mid-State Technical College / Wisconsin Rapids Campus
500 32nd Street North
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494
Contact | Schedule Appointment