Military Experience Credit

Military Experience Credit

College Credit for Military Training and Experience

Have you served in the military for one or more years? If so, you may qualify for college credit based on college-level knowledge and/or skills you developed as a result. Veterans from all branches have a diverse set of knowledge and skills that pertain to their military occupation. However, all branches of the military require basic training and a variation of advanced training.

How It Works

  • Mid-State will evaluate military training and experience of former and current US military personnel for possible credits toward completion of an associate degree or technical diploma. (Fees for this evaluation may apply.)
  • Credits may be awarded toward courses that fulfill a published Mid-State graduation requirement or that are an acceptable degree elective at Mid-State Technical College.
  • Credits will be granted for documented, authenticated, and demonstrated learning that aligns with Mid-State's course competencies.
  • The evaluation process will follow the recommendations of the current Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services published by the American Council on Education
  • The appropriate academic dean is responsible for the final decision on the recognition of credit for military educational experiences.

Get Started

The first step to receiving credit for military training and service is to submit proof of completion of initial and advanced training as well as proof of one or more years of service. To begin this process, please contact the Credit for Prior Learning coordinator or 715.422.5529.

You can jumpstart the process for this evaluation by doing the following:

  1. Select a Mid-State technical diploma or associate degree program. (See full list on our Programs page.)
  2. Reflect on knowledge you have gained through formal training.
  3. Review program information and course descriptions provided in the program information guide provided on the specific program page.
  4. Choose a course or courses for which you feel you have already obtained the knowledge and skills through work or life experience.
  5. Prepare a resume and a brief summary of the specific skills and knowledge you have gained and how you have gained or demonstrated them.
  6. Send the above information along with DD214 and official military transcripts to the Credit for Prior Learning coordinator. (Although not as fast, you may also send this information via regular mail to Mid-State Technical College Credit for Prior Learning, 500 32nd Street North, Wisconsin Rapids, WI, 54494.)

Request Military Transcripts