Complaint Procedure

Mid-State is committed to providing a positive environment and educational experience for students. This environment includes incorporating feedback from students, employees, partners, and the public into College operations. Mid-State uses feedback to make continuous improvements.

Mid-State Complaint Process

Should you have a concern or problem, please discuss it with your instructor, advisor, counselor, or campus dean to attempt to resolve the matter. If this action does not resolve the problem, a formal complaint can be presented. Typically, a formal complaint is a written allegation of an inequity. An inequity may involve either the academic or the nonacademic function of Mid-State.

Students who believe that they have cause to make a formal complaint can submit a complaint form to initiate the first steps of the complaint procedure. Please note: Complaints submitted, including your information on this form, allows the dean of student success to follow-up on your complaint.

Please visit our Appeal Process page if you are appealing a grade.

WTCS Complaint Process

We encourage all students to start with the Mid-State complaint process. Please know, students who attend a college that is part of the WTCS can file complaints at the state level in three categories defined by U.S. Department of Education:

  • Complaints that allege violations of Wisconsin consumer protection laws, including but not limited to false advertising
  • Complaints that allege violations of Wisconsin laws related to the licensure of post-secondary institutions
  • Complaints relating to the quality of education or other state or accreditation requirements.

A student who reasonably believes that a violation has occurred in one or more of these categories may file a written complaint. Complaints must be signed by the student and submitted on the official student complaint form. Complaints must be filed within one year from the date of the alleged violation or the last recorded date of attendance, whichever is later. The WTCS will review complaints only after students attempt to resolve the matter through applicable college appeals or complaint processes.

WTCS student complaint form.

Distance Education Conducted Across State Lines

Mid-State College participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). As a member of SARA, any current or former student of a distance education program offered by Mid-State College may file a complaint with Wisconsin’s Distance Learning Authorization Board (DLAB) for Mid-State College distance education activity conducted across state lines under specific and limited circumstances. For more information on the types of complaints handled by DLAB, steps to be taken before filing a complaint with DLAB, and the process to file a complaint with the DLAB, see DLAB’s student complaint process.