This event is held in an unheated facility. Students are advised to dress warmly.
- To challenge individuals and teams to stimulate interest and promote competence in forestry skills.
- To prepare individuals and teams to competitively participate in the State FFA Forestry Competition.
NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED!
Contestants must come prepared to work in adverse weather conditions, since the contest will be conducted regardless of weather. Contestants are advised to bring jackets, rain gear, and adequate footwear.
A team will consist of three or four members. But the total of the top three (3) team members will determine the team score.
Contestants must provide clipboards and no.2 pencils (no pens). Calculators are required. Each team is required to bring a Silva Ranger compass or one of comparable quality. All other tools and equipment will be provided.
The contest will start promptly at 8:30 a.m.
The contest will consist of the following phases and includesthree indoor events (100 points) and one outdoor field exam (100 points).
- General Knowledge Examination (50 points) consisting of 50 multiple choice questions. A period of 50 minutes will be allowed for this phase. Each question is worth one point.
- Forestry Equipment Identification (25 points) consisting of 25 tools from the “Forestry ID list.pdf” located on the bottom of the Wisconsin Forestry CDE preparation page.
- Tree Identification (25 points) consisting of 25 trees from the “Forestry ID list.pdf” located on the bottom of the Wisconsin Forestry CDE preparation page.
- Field Exam (100 points) consisting of 15 stations at which teams must work together using forestry skills and tools to complete. Examples of stations could include but are not limited to: measuring diameter and height, volume estimation, tree identification, forest disease/disorder identification, direction in azimuth, distance by pacing, equipment identification, timber stand improvement (TSI), forest products, and a forest business management problem.
Teams should come prepared in all skills as they will only learn of the skill area to be tested on the day of the event.
Each school may enter one team.
Please review the state FFA Career Development Events.