Age Requirements for Enrollment
MSTC complies with all education statutes and policies regulated and promulgated by the Department of Public Instruction.
Programs may possess age criteria for admission based on licensing/certification requirements. All students who seek to enroll at MSTC are subject to the course prerequisites and program admission requirements as outlined in the MSTC Catalog & Student Handbook. Questions regarding under age 18 attendance or home-schooled students should be directed to the Student Affairs-Admissions Office at any MSTC location.
The following are admissions/enrollment related age attendance policies for MSTC.
- A student age 18 and older may attend MSTC courses and programs at anytime during the day if they have met the applicable prerequisite or program admission requirements. Attendance during the school day for students enrolled in public/private schools can be done with the written permission of the school principal and the parent/guardian.
- A student between the ages of 16 -18 may not attend the Learning Commons classes during the day without an approved contract from their school district (unless his/her high school class has already graduated), but may do so after 4:00 p.m. without a contract.
- A high school student between the ages of 16 -18 may attend undergraduate day classes with written consent from the parent/guardian and the high school principal.
- A student under the age of 16, with the prior written consent of their parent, may attend night classes at MSTC (beginning and after 4:00 p.m.) for secondary non-required courses or post-secondary courses for which they meet the pre-requisites.
- A home-schooled child age 16-17 may attend MSTC during the school day (with the prior written consent of their parent) or in the evenings for secondary non-required courses or post-secondary courses for which they meet the prerequisites.
A home-schooled child age 18 or older that has completed high school may attend any MSTC classes at any point during the school day.
Students under 16 years of age may not be allowed to enroll in certain courses due to safety, certification, or policy requirements. Classes involving hands-on applications for skill development in areas identified as hazardous in Chapter 70 Wisconsin Code (Ind. 70.03(3e)). Hazardous areas include use of hoisting apparatus; logging; motor vehicle drivers and outside helpers; usage of firearms; manufacturing or processing, etc. Please consult a program counselor or new student specialist for information. Students under 18 years of age will not be able to participate in the following courses: nursing core, licensed practical nursing, fire training, and police academy training.
- A home-schooled child age 17 or younger may not attend the Learning Commons classes during the day, but may do so after 4:00 p.m.
- Home-schooled students are not eligible for federal financial aid until completion of their high school degree.
- The individual will not be attending during the hours of the normal school day established under Wisconsin Compulsory Attendance laws.
Age Requirements for Enrollment - Under Age 16
In order for students under the age of 16 to enroll at MSTC the following conditions must be met:
- The individual has the written permission of his/her parent or guardian. (A signed and dated letter from the parent or guardian should accompany the registration form.)