Graduation Commencement Dates
Thursday May 15, 2014 - 7:00 p.m.
- Marshfield Campus - Holiday Inn & Conference Center (750 South Central Avenue)
- Stevens Point Campus - University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Dreyfus University Center (1015 Reserve Street)
- Wisconsin Rapids Campus - Campus gymnasium (Building E)
- Nursing - Pinning will be held at 3:00 p.m. in the Wisconsin Rapids Campus gymnasium.
Applying to Graduate
MSTC is authorized by the Wisconsin Technical College System to grant associate degrees and technical diplomas. The graduation date is determined for an individual student by the completion date of all program requirements and the requirements listed below. To be eligible for a diploma or degree from MSTC, a student must fulfill the following requirements to graduate:
- Applied and be accepted into the program from which the student intends to graduate.
- Satisfactorily complete all curriculum graduation requirements with a program GPA of 2.0 or above. Please note: Service and Health programs may require higher GPA’s for graduation. Please see the progression requirements regarding your program of choice in the MSTC Catalog & Student Handbook.
- Complete at least 25% of the total academic program at MSTC.
- Complete a minimum of 25% of the occupational core courses at MSTC.
- Petition to graduate by using the graduation card or MyMSTC student online services prior to the graduation date on which the student intends to graduate.
- Pay the graduation fee of $25. Each additional diploma is $5.
- Diplomas will be mailed to students approximately four weeks after the semester’s commencement date. Commencement exercises are held in December and May. A student must fulfill all financial obligations to MSTC to receive any form of certificate, degree, or diploma.
- You may participate in the May commencement ceremony if you are scheduled to complete coursework by the end of the summer session. If your coursework goes beyond summer, you will be eligible to participate in the December commencement ceremony.
Graduating with Honors
Honor lists include all graduating students with high academic achievement as outlined below, based on the program GPA through the semester preceding the final semester. Students graduating with honors are recognized with honor cords. Those students whose academic history with MSTC is limited to the current semester will not be eligible for honor cords.
The Office of Student Records will determine program GPA for all MSTC graduates. Honor cords may be purchased at campus bookstores. A nominal fee is charged for students wishing to receive honor cords based on the following:
Graduation with Distinction (Gold Cord) - 3.75 - 4.00 GPA
Graduation with High Honors (Silver Cord) - 3.50 - 3.74 GPA
Gradiation with Honors (Bronze Cord) - 3.25 - 3.49 GPA
Early Release for Employment
“Student early release” is a procedure whereby a potential graduate of one of MSTC’s programs may be permitted to terminate his/her attendance at MSTC for employment, subject to the following conditions:
- Early release will be granted only if the employer requires the potential graduate to begin employment immediately. Students will be given early release only for full-time employment related to their training received at MSTC.
- Early release, if granted, cannot exceed two weeks prior to the last day of the semester. Such time will not be counted as absences.
Graduation from an MSTC Collaborative Program
Students who are participants in an MSTC collaborative program with another technical college, where MSTC is the primary owner of the program will be allowed to transfer credits from the designated collaborating college and have those transfer credits and grades posted to their MSTC transcript for calculation into their program GPA. Students participating in such a program and completing all program requirements toward graduation will be listed as an MSTC graduate.
Follow-Up Studies of Graduates
MSTC is required by the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) to perform graduate follow-up studies at intervals of one year and five years. Every five years the WTCS performs an employer follow-up survey to measure the employer satisfaction with WTCS graduates. This allows WTCS and MSTC to maintain important statistics regarding graduate employment and placement.
Data is collected to provide information to prospective students, high school counselors, special interest groups, and the general public. In the six months following graduation from MSTC, a data sheet and work history records will be mailed to each graduate to complete and to return to the college for the graduate follow-up study. Phone calls are placed to graduates who do not return the surveys. This is done in an effort to obtain the most accurate information possible.