Mid-State Technical College will offer the new computer-based GED Tests starting January 2014. The new assessment will continue to provide adults the opportunity to earn a high school credential, but it goes further by measuring career- and college-readiness skills that are the focus of today’s curriculum and tomorrow’s success.
Wisconsin offers Two Credentials:
- General Educational Development® certificate (GED)
- High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED)
GED and HSED Requirements:
- The GED Certificate is earned by passing the four GED Tests.
An HSED can be earned five different ways in Wisconsin.
- P.I.5.05 – Pass the four GED Tests and meet the requirements in health, civics, career awareness, and employability skills. (See HSED Plan for Completion for more information.)
- P.I.5.06 – Earn at least 22 high school credits including four in English, three in social studies, two in math, two in science, and one-half in health.
- P.I.5.07 – Earn 24 post-secondary credits including a credit in each subject in which you did not complete the high school credits required, except physical education.
- P.I.5.08 – Present a foreign diploma or degree and meet a citizenship requirement.
P.I.5.09 – Complete a state approved program through coursework designed to provide knowledge and skills that are expected to be taught in the courses required of high school graduates, including employability skills, civic literacy, and excluding physical education.
Students who choose to earn an HSED through any of these options must meet the state eligibility requirements before starting. After completion of any of these five options, a High School Equivalency Diploma is issued from the State of Wisconsin.
Eligibility for Testing:
- Wisconsin residency, or migrant worker, or child of a migrant worker
- 18.5 years of age or proof that 9th grade class has graduated
- Not currently enrolled in public or private high school
- Not a high school graduate
- Reasoning through Language Arts - 150 minutes, includes 10 minute break
- Mathematic Reasoning - 115 minutes
- Science - 90 minutes
- Social Studies - 90 minutes
The computer-based tests include seven different item types: multiple choice, short answer, extended response, drag-and-drop, drop-down, fill-in-the-blank, and hot spots.
The GED Exam is available in English or Spanish.
Students with Disabilities:
- During MyGED pre-registration, answer yes on the question asking, “Do you need to request accommodated testing conditions for a documented disability?”
- Print, complete, and submit the accommodations request forms for your disability.
Contact MSTC Disability Services staff for assistance.
Patti Lloyd: 715.422.5452 (Wisconsin Rapids) or 608.339.3379 (Adams)
Mary Marks: 715.389.7052 (Marshfield) or 715.342.3113 (Stevens Point)
- $33.75 per test, for a total cost of $135 for all four tests. Retests are $10 each.
Attend a mandatory Orientation at Mid-State Technical College Learning Commons.
Complete TABE Reading assessment.
Discuss GED/HSED options, develop Plan for Completion, and complete DPI Form.
Create account at www.GED.com using legal name that matches primary ID.
Must have active email address to complete registration process or can create free one.
MyGED Step-by-step instructions
Notify the Testing Center when Orientation is complete and MyGED™ account is created.
Registration is on hold until the Testing Center knows you have completed Step One and Step Two. You must be activated to proceed.
Preparing and Practicing:
- Free individualized preparation and practice tests are available at any MSTC Learning Commons.
- Visit MyGED for additional information. Step-by-step instructions on everything available at MyGED™, including Test Tips, FAQs, Scheduling, Scoring, Test Tour video, Calculator videos.
Have a credit or debit card, pre-paid credit card, or voucher available. Click here to find out where to buy pre-paid Visa Cards.
Third parties (agencies, family members, etc.) can use a credit card to purchase vouchers from the Pearson VUE Voucher Store
- Have valid government-issued photo identification.
- Visit www.GED.com or call 1-877-EXAM-GED or 1-877-392-6433 to schedule.
NOTE: To see the greatest number of available appointment times, select one test at a time.
Cancellation Policy: Cancel through www.GED.com or 1-877-(EXAM-GED) one business day prior to the scheduled appointment. If less than one business day prior payment will not be reimbursed.
On test day:
- Admission: Arrive at the test center 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. This will give adequate time to complete the necessary sign-in procedures. Arrival more than 15 minutes after your scheduled start time and you will be unable to test and will not be reimbursed.
- Photo ID is required for every test session. No Exceptions.
ID must be government-issued and non-expired and must include all of the following:
- Candidate’s name
- Date of birth
- How to get a Wisconsin State ID Card if you do not have a Driver’s License.
Although lockers will be available, please try to leave other personal belongings at home or in your vehicle.
The following items are not permitted in the testing room: coats, jackets, hats, watches, jewelry, purses, wallets, cell phones, pagers, hand-held computers, tablets, PDAs, other electronic devices, briefcases, backpacks, bags, notes, notebooks, study guides, calculators, dictionaries, language translators, pens, pencils, water bottles, contact lens solution, lip balm, food, drink, tobacco products, weapons such as guns, knives and toy weapons,…. MSTC is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Family and friends may not wait for candidates in the testing area.
- A form with instructions on how to access GED test scores will be provided after testing.
- Passing is a score of 150 points on each test module. Scores will be available online at student’s MyGED account. Retests on the GED Tests are available after 30 days have passed.
- There is a $15 fee for the diploma or transcript. Turnaround time is 7-10 days.
Mail the fee and order form to:
Department of Public Instruction
P.O. Box 7841
Madison, WI 53707-7841