Practical Nursing Admission Procedures
To apply to the Nursing program, please complete the following steps and submit documents to the MSTC Admissions Office. When Step 1 is completed, the student will be admitted to Nursing and be eligible to apply for financial aid.
- Complete an MSTC application form. You must have completed your junior year of high school to qualify. Remember to include the $30 nonrefundable application fee and indicate your chosen program.
Complete the Accuplacer or ACT test. Minimum scores required (ACT equivalents are acceptable):
- Reading-Accuplacer score of 95
- Sentence Skills–Accuplacer score of 103
- Math–Accuplacer score of 79
- Submit the Criminal Background Statement of Understanding/Release of Information form.
Complete the following prerequisite course work:
- Complete one year of high school chemistry or biology or a combination with a grade of "C" or better both semesters or one semester of college chemistry (10-806-134) or biology with a grade of "C" or better. This course has a prerequisite.
- Complete General Anatomy & Physiology with a grade of "B-" or better. This course has a prerequisite.
- Submit the Functional Abilities form.
- Submit the Intent to Enroll form with all required documentation.
Step 2 completed packets are accepted at any time. All incomplete Step 2 packets will be returned.
Submit all materials to:
Mid-State Technical College
500 32nd Street North
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494
After your Step 2 packet has been submitted, then proceed to Step 3 and begin taking General Education courses.
To be eligible to enroll in nursing core courses, complete the following requirements in the sequence outlined below.
The below courses need to be completed prior to starting nursing core courses. All courses below must have a grade of “C” or better.
- Developmental Psychology
- Nursing Assistant
- Written Communication
Students are highly encouraged to have these remaining courses completed by the start of nursing core courses:
- Oral/Interpersonal Communication or Speech
- You must repeat courses not completed with a "C" or better prior to progressing in the program.
- Your total program GPA of must be 2.0 or higher to start and continue in nursing core courses.
- If you have all General Education courses and electives completed and are within one semester of nursing clinical, you may take the Nursing Fundamentals and Nursing Pharmacology courses. At that time you will receive a letter describing the process.