How Do I Apply for Financial Aid
In order to apply for federal aid, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at FAFSA.gov. FAFSA worksheets are available at Mid-State Technical College campuses, and on-line at FAFSA.gov. Continuing students must reapply each academic year. Spanish worksheets are available through the Financial Aid Office or at your local Learning Commons.
Every student should apply to be considered for grants, loans, and workstudy!
- "7 EASY STEPS TO the FAFSA", a guide for students to successfully complete the free application for Federal Student Aid
- FAFSA IRS data retrieval tool instructions
If you are not able to complete the FAFSA online, here are two options to get a paper FAFSA:
- Print a paper copy to be mailed into the Department of Education processor.
- Request a paper FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1.800.4.FED.AID (1.800.433.3243) or 1.319.337.5665. Individuals who are hearing impaired can use the Wisconsin Relay Service number: 711.
Why have a PIN?
It serves as an electronic signature on your FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA, corrections, and online Student Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). The PIN applicant's name, social security number, and birthdate are matched with the Social Security Administration. Email PIN notification is sent to the applicant if the match is successful. If the match is unsuccessful, a letter is sent instead.
Note: Please retain your PIN # for future reference. If you lose your PIN you will need to request a duplicate pin or re-apply for a new one at pin.ed.gov. Your PIN # does not change and will be used throughout your years in college. Parents can use their PIN for multiple dependents.
FAFSA4caster is a tool that can help you with an early estimate of your eligibility for federal student aid. Nothing is final until you have officially completed the FAFSA and completed the process.
- It will increase your knowledge of the financial aid process and provide information about other sources of aid.
- "FAFSA4caster Tip" appears throughout the site and provides you with information that will help make preparation for college and the financial aid process easier.
- When you're ready to officially apply for aid, FAFSA4caster will transfer all of your data to the FAFSA on the Web application, making the experience of applying for federal student aid a lot easier for you.