Transfer to MSTC
Transfer to MSTC
We recognize that you may come to MSTC with knowledge and skills obtained through a variety of previous educational, life, and career experiences. MSTC’s Credit for Prior Learning Policy enables students to receive credit for their knowledge and skills gained from experience other than through courses at MSTC and accelerate the completion of their educational goals. Credit for Prior Learning credits may include transfer of credits from approved, post-secondary institutions; credit by examination; high school, military, or occupational experience/training; and articulated high school credit.
Students are required to complete 25% of the technical studies (Associate Degree Programs) or occupational-specific studies (Technical Diploma Programs) at MSTC. The remaining 75% of coursework may be completed with various types of credit for prior learning.
Contact the Student Services Office to find out if you’re eligible to obtain credit for prior learning. Be sure to send official transcripts from any previously attended colleges to MSTC Admissions, 500 32nd St. North, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494.
Transfer credit typically takes 4-5 weeks to process from the point of receipt to the point of posting on the student's academic record.
- High School - Advanced Standing
- AP, CLEP and ACT-PEP - Credit by National Examination
- Credit for Military Educational Experience
- MSTC Test Credit
- Transfer of Credit
- Work Experience Credit
Transfer of Credit to Other Colleges
If you wish to continue your education at another institution, contact the college you wish to attend. Receiving institutions will determine acceptable transfer credit. For more information, explore our transfer agreements with other institutions.
Transfer of Credit to UW System Schools
If you wish to continue your education in the University of Wisconsin System, you may be eligible to transfer credits toward a bachelor’s degree in several ways.
- You may be able to transfer up to 30 credits of General Education coursework
- If you have successfully completed an Associate Degree, you may be eligible to transfer certain technical support and/or occupational credits when there is a direct relationship between the Associate Degree program and a program offered at a UW System institution
- You may also be eligible to earn appropriate scores on national standardized examinations (e.g., College Level Examination Program) or examinations developed by the UW System transfer institution
- You can take advantage of articulation agreements between MSTC and certain UW institutions for some programs
- Have individual courses evaluated for transferability by UW System staff
For more information about these transfer opportunities, consult with your college advisors and admissions staff at the college of your choice.
You may also go to the Transfer Information System (TIS) website that was developed by the University of Wisconsin System in cooperation with the Wisconsin Technical College System to help students understand their options and provide information about transferring credits between the two systems.
Frequently Asked Admissions Questions
Do college graduates still need to provide high school transcripts?
Yes, but only if your program requires transcripts.
I applied to MSTC in the past. Do I need to repay my application fee?
The $30 application fee is a one-time fee.
MSTC needs a copy of my transcripts. Can I send a copy of the one I have?
No. MSTC requires all transcripts to be official.
How does MSTC tuition compare to tuition for a four-year public university?
On average, an MSTC education costs 45% less than two years at a public university.
Is there an Application for Admission deadline?
MSTC continuously accepts applications for admission.
How do I know if I’ve been admitted to a program?
Once you have completed all admissions requirements, you will receive a letter indicating you have been accepted.
How do I apply to a program?
Click on How to Apply above to get started!
If I’ve taken the Accuplacer or ACT in the past, can MSTC use those scores?
Yes. The scores can be used if the test has been taken within the past five years.
Will a GED or HSED be accepted in lieu of a high school diploma?
Yes. Contact the institution that awarded your GED/HSED and have them send your test scores directly to MSTC.
Is there a fee to take the Accuplacer?
Yes. There is a $20 fee to take the Accuplacer.
What are official transcripts?
Official transcripts are transcripts with the school's seal sent directly from the school you attended previously.
Do I need to be admitted to a program to take classes at MSTC?
No. Anyone can register for most General Studies classes.
When can I take the Accuplacer?
The Accuplacer is offered on a daily basis
Do I need to take an entrance assessment to be admitted to MSTC & my program?
MSTC requires most new students to complete the Accuplacer prior to acceptance into a program.