Transfer to Mid-State

We recognize that you may come to Mid-State with knowledge and skills obtained through a variety of previous educational, life, and career experiences. Mid-State’s Credit for Prior Learning Policy enables students to receive credit for their knowledge and skills gained from experience other than through courses at Mid-State and accelerate the completion of their educational goals. Credit for Prior Learning credits may include transfer of credits from approved, post-secondary institutions; credit by examination; high school, military, or occupational experience/training; and articulated high school credit.

Students are required to complete 25 percent of their program credit requirements at Mid-State. The remaining 75 percent of credits may be earned through various types of credit for prior learning.

Contact the Credit for Prior Learning Coordinator to find out if you’re eligible to obtain credit for prior learning. Be sure to send official transcripts from any previously attended colleges to Mid-State Admissions, 500 32nd Street North, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494.

Transfer credit typically takes 4-5 weeks to process from the point of receipt to the point of posting on the student's academic record.

Dual credit opportunities for high school students
Other credit transfer opportunities

Transfer of Credit to Other Colleges

If you wish to continue your education at another institution, contact the college you wish to attend.  Receiving institutions will determine acceptable transfer credit. For more information, explore our transfer agreements with other institutions.

Transfer of Credit to UW System Schools

If you wish to continue your education in the University of Wisconsin System, you may be eligible to transfer credits toward a bachelor’s degree in several ways.

  1. You may be able to transfer up to 30 credits of General Education coursework
  2. If you have successfully completed an Associate Degree, you may be eligible to transfer certain technical support and/or occupational credits when there is a direct relationship between the Associate Degree program and a program offered at a UW System institution
  3. You may also be eligible to earn appropriate scores on national standardized examinations (e.g., College Level Examination Program) or examinations developed by the UW System transfer institution
  4. You can take advantage of articulation agreements between Mid-State and certain UW institutions for some programs
  5. Have individual courses evaluated for transferability by UW System staff

For more information about these transfer opportunities, consult with your college advisors and admissions staff at the college of your choice.

You may also go to the Transfer Information System (TIS) website that was developed by the University of Wisconsin System in cooperation with the Wisconsin Technical College System to help students understand their options and provide information about transferring credits between the two systems.

Frequently Asked Admissions Questions


I applied to Mid-State in the past. Do I need to repay my application fee?

The $30 application fee is a one-time fee, unless you have been away for 3 consecutive semesters.

Is there an Application for Admission deadline?

Mid-State continuously accepts applications for admission.

How does Mid-State tuition compare to tuition for a four-year public university?

On average, an Mid-State education costs 45% less than two years at a public university.

Will a Certificate of GED® or HSED be accepted in lieu of a high school diploma?

Yes. If you received a GED® or HSED in Wisconsin, contact the WI Department of Public Instruction to request a transcript.

When can I take the Accuplacer?

The Accuplacer is offered on a daily basis

How do I know if I’ve been admitted to a program?

Once you have completed all admissions requirements, you will receive a letter indicating you have been accepted.

Mid-State needs a copy of my transcripts. Can I send a copy of the one I have?

No. Mid-State requires all transcripts to be official.

What are official transcripts?

Official transcripts are transcripts with the school's seal sent directly from the school you attended previously.

Is there a fee to take the Accuplacer?

No. There is no fee to take the Accuplacer.

Do I need to be admitted to a program to take classes at Mid-State?

No, but you must complete an Application.

Do I need to provide high school or college transcripts?

Yes, but only if your program requires transcripts.

Do I need to take an entrance assessment to be admitted to Mid-State & my program?

Mid-State requires most new students to complete the Accuplacer prior to acceptance into a program.